My Google Plus List of GrievancesPosted: August 2, 2011 | |
Below are all pulled from an IM conversation yesterday, generally unedited.
- I’m generally underimpressed and think it is much more like Tumblr or Twitter than Facebook. I don’t exactly use Facebook for conversations. And I very much dislike the privacy things.
- I don’t like that Google adds people to my GChat list if we both add each other to circles.
- I don’t like that I can’t whitelist people allowing them to add me to circles.
- It’s a pain in the ass to share to it. Seems like extra steps to share with ultimately the same people I have in other places. Now, would this change with certain tools (like, what Buzz used to do with auto sharing Reader shares)? Likely.
- The Circling process is backwards. You being in “my circle” is for me to share with you. If you aren’t following me, that’s a useless relationship. I don’t get how this could be sustainable. People aren’t adding me because of what I’m saying (which is nothing). They are adding me because they want me to add them back so they can spew off their ****.
- I see two really important things:
- The user stats are misleading. I think Google is counting anyone who is added to a circle – not actively logging in or even signing up – as a user.
- Google’s biggest problem with FB is the sheer number of people with Yahoo and Hotmail addresses that registered. Hence the requiring a GMail address. This is conversion.
Some days, you just have to rant.