Posted: August 23, 2009
Pay Walls, Fact Checks and Congress – all here today:
- John McQuaid adds a rational perspective and counterpoint to Farhi.
- Matt Yglesias questions Chris Matthews’s “Bloggers Don’t Fact Check” assertion. (Video of Matthews’ comments here – his nostalgia for print copies of newspapers is adorable)
- An LATimes opinion writer is calling for Congressional intervention to save journalism. You can consider this to be this week’s Farhi piece among bloggers looking for something with which to collectively disagree. Removing anti-trust laws would also make it about one step easier for David Simon’s “dream world” discussed in CJR.
- Going international, the Irish Times covers the search for online news revenue.
- Finally, Rick Edmonds at Poynter writes how tall pay walls could hurt community access to information.